Information for Tenants
We believe in assisting our prospective tenants to ensure they find the right property.
Prospective tenants should consider the following;
When a suitable property to rent has been found all persons aged eighteen or over will be named on the Tenancy. References through a referencing company will be obtained who have access to credit history. There is a non-returnable payment required for this procedure. No other fees are required at this stage.
Tenants will be required to sign an Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement and any other relevant paperwork. Rent is payable in advance prior to the commencement of the tenancy, together with a deposit and our administration fee. The deposit monies are placed within a Government approved scheme and held for the duration of the tenancy as security for any damages or expenses arising during the tenancy.
An inventory will be produced at the commencement of the tenancy for approval by tenant and agent/landlord. This will form the basis of any claim for damages at the end of the tenancy as required by the Government Deposit Scheme.
Tenants will be made aware of their responsibility for the property prior to tenancy commencement including the importance of rapid reporting of any issues which arise.
Tenants must ensure the property is fully secured when left unattended, and if this is for any period of time the office should be notified.
During the winter months, necessary steps must be taken to prevent the freezing of the water and heating systems.
Relevant letting fees & tenant protection information
Assured shorthold tenancies [AST’s] tenant fees
As well as paying the rent, you may also be required to make the following permitted payments.
- Security Deposit [per tenancy. Rent under £50,000 per year]: Five weeks’ rent (This covers damage or defaults on the part of the tenant during tenancy)
- Payment of £50 (inc VAT) for variation, assignment, novation or renewal of the tenancy agreement
- Lost Key(s) or other Security Devise(s): Tenants are liable for reasonable cost of replacing any lost key(s) or other security device(s). If the loss results in locks needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmiths, new lock and replacement keys for the tenant, landlord any other persons requiring keys will be charged to the tenant. If extra costs are incurred there will be a charge of £15.00 per hour (inc VAT) for the time taken replacing lost key(s) or other security device(s). You have to prove this if we put this in
- Green deal: Any payments towards Energy Efficiency improvements under a Green Deal charge will be made clear on the property details.
During the tenancy (payable to the provider) if permitted and applicable
Utilities – gas, electricity, water, drainage, Communications – telephone & broadband, Installation of cable/satellite, Subscription to cable/satellite supplier, Television licence, Council Tax.
Contractual/company tenancy agreement
- Credit/Referencing £60.00 (inc VAT) per tenant/per property
- Guarantor referencing £60.00 (inc VAT) per Guarantor/per property
Kivells is a member of The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which has a client money protection scheme, and also a member of The Property Ombudsman (TPO), which is a redress scheme. You can find out more details on the agent’s website or by contacting the agent directly.
A copy of our draft tenancy agreement will be provided on request. Tenants receiving Universal Credit will be required to have a Guarantor (unless stated). In some circumstances you may not be considered for certain properties.